The Constitution

Arsenic and Old Lace entertaining, ironic, fun

Makenzie Fleming, Constitution Newspaper Staff

Parkview’s fall production of “Arsenic and Old Lace” is a dark comical play that follows the Brewster family one late night and the following morning. The play is placed in Brooklyn, New York during the 1930’s.

The set was beautifully crafted and fit the time period well. It follows Martha and Abby, played by Katlyn Dunbar and Claire Webre, who kill lonely old men as a way of helping them.

Teddy Brewster, played by Andrew Fox, believes he is Teddy Roosevelt. Mortimer, played by Rudy Fajardo, is proposing and calling off his marriage to Elaine, played by Emily Schick, while at the same time trying to understand his eccentric family.  The long lost brother Jonathan, played by Eli Patterson, brings his partner-in-crime Dr.Einstein, played by Christian Tobler,

The script was well executed and flawless. This production made the audience laugh when something comical was said or done. One of the funnier scenes was every time   Teddy Brewster went up the stairs he would pause, point a finger towards the ceiling, and yell “charge!” The audience eventually caught on to the pattern and begin to say it to.

Another funny scene was near the end of the play when the police were trying to figure out what all the commotion was about at the Brewster house. The elders of the family are trying to convince the police that there are bodies in the basement.

The police officers don’t want to go and check it out though.

Irony in the play also made it enjoyable.

One scene that the audience really enjoyed was while Mortimer was telling a story of how a man in a play got kidnapped, tied to a chair and gagged. The irony was that  Jonathan and Dr.Einstein were tying Mortimer to a chair as he was telling his story. At the end of the story he said, “but that guy was dumb,” even though he is “that guy”.