The Constitution

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

The second installation of the Kingsman series, “Kingsman: the Golden Circle,” is almost as delightful as its box office hit predecessor “Kingsman: The Secret Service.”

The movie starts off with a bang as main character Gary “Eggsy” Unwin (Taron Egerton) is enbroiled in a high speed police chase that ends only when he drives his car, which conveniently doubles as a submarine, directly into a large pool of water. The windshield of his vehicle is utterly smashed and he must hold his breath until he reaches his destination underneath the surface.

The movie surrounds the Kingsman agency’s investigation into a highly secretive world-scale drug ring led by a woman named Poppy (Julianne Moore) who is literally straight out of the looney-bin. Poppy has named her monopoly “The Golden Circle,” hence, the title of the movie.

Poppy considers herself to be the “world’s most successful businesswoman,” and is discontented with the fact that she is not credited for her success due to the illegality of her business. She plans to remedy this by forcing the American government’s hand to legalize the production and sale of hard drugs.

Before she puts her plan in motion, however, she annihilates the entire Kingsman agency except for Eggsy and Merlin (Mark Strong) with the help of Charlie Hesketh (Edward Holcroft), Kingsman agency reject gone rogue.

Poppy’s grand scheme consists of poisoning her most popular marijuana and forcing the government between choosing to legalize the harmful substances and receive the antidote by drone or decline and watch the gory demise of those citizens who are infected.

Eggsy and Merlin, hot on Poppy’s trail and left with no resources, go into the Kingsman doomsday bunker to determine their next move. They are disappointed to discover that all that has been left for them is a bottle of aged Scotch, but after downing the entire bottle, they discover that the bottle contains a clue leading them to one of Kingsman’s partner agencies: the Statesmen, an American based secret service.

Teamed up with the statesmen and having discovered Harry Hart (Colin Firth), Eggsy’s former mentor, was not, in fact, dead as the Kingsman agency and the audience were lead to believe by the end of the initial installment.

Harry suffers from retrograde amnesia, but is slowly regaining his memories. Together, he, Harry, Merlin, and Statesman agent Whiskey (Pedro Pascal) form a team to foil Poppy’s plans.

Stakes for the mission raise as the agents realize the President has no desire to honor Poppy’s wishes, and instead believes that the whole situation will remedy America’s drug crisis by eliminating “junkies.”

The ending will be left to the watcher’s imagination, so no spoiler alert here.

Overall, “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” rates a solid 8 out of 10. The movie doesn’t incorporate the same magic first-time viewers felt when initially discovering the Kingsman agency, but it does have the element of excitement. It flips the audience’s expectations in multiple different situations, keeps them on their toes, and has many delightfully funny scenes throughout the movie.