The Constitution

Filed under News

Free Chick-Fil-A offered for literacy book drive winners

Parkview students have the opportunity to win their A1 class a Chick-Fil-A breakfast incentive! What’s the catch? It’s simple, the yummy chicken loot goes to the Parkview class that brings the most books suitable for children in kindergarten through fifth grade.

The book drive is sponsored by Parkview’s very own Jobs for Arkansas Graduates students. The JAG class has begun an ongoing project where they plan to adopt an elementary school class within the Little Rock School District  in an effort to raise literacy scores and encourage reading.

“The reading scores aren’t looking so great right now,” said senior Jakiya Ursery, one of the three students leading the project, “but if we encourage the students, they will get better.”

The purpose of the project is to increase interest in reading early on in order to decrease the amount of distressed middle and high schools in LRSD in the future.

The JAG students didn’t want to stop there. “We wanted to show our Parkview students some love, too,” said senior Kierra Humphrey, another student leading the project.

As seniors, the girls commented on the stress of applying for college. “There’s so many things you need, sometimes you can’t even keep count,” commented Humphrey. The girls thought it might be difficult for seniors to collect volunteer hours to put on their academic resumes, so they wanted to offer an opportunity to gain hours from the literacy project.

As a result, the girls are allowing seniors to tag along with them and read to elementary schoolchildren.

“We’re planning to go twice a month until the end of March, so that’s plenty of volunteer hours to go around,” said Ursery, “And at the end of it all we’ll plan a big birthday celebration on Dr. Seuss’ birthday, National Read Across America Day.”

At this years JAG conference, the girls placed first regionally in “Project Based Learning.” The girls will go on to present their project at the national conference in Washington D.C. on Monday, Nov. 20.

The book drive runs until Friday, Oct. 27.