The Constitution

Stagecraft: building Candyland

Charles Elebeke, Constitution Newspaper Staff

This year  the theme for homecoming was “Candyland.” Homecoming is the school’s favorite event.  Everyone loves to show off their best moves at the homecoming dance, get hyped up at the homecoming game, and cheer on their best friends when they see them at the homecoming assembly. The school especially loves the assembly. From the set to the beautiful dresses, it’s the highlight of homecoming week. But we all know that it takes time and hard work to create such a beautiful set. This difficult job was left to stagecraft. 

The stagecraft teacher, Ms. Shelley House, had a lot to say about the build of the set. “Building a set for the homecoming assembly is anything but easy,” she said. According to House, one of the biggest setbacks was the budget. They only had $60-70 to spend on everything. Another problem was students getting injured. They had to use chicken wire, a scratchy material, that injured many students. Luckily, there were no major injuries. “The students are very familiar with the safety procedures,” she said.

“Compared to the other sets, this one was a lot easier,” an anonymous student said. According to various other students,  it took a longer time, they had less money, and there were more injuries in previous years.

.