The Student News Site of Parkview Arts/Science Magnet High School
Mr. Randy Rutherford took over as principal at Parkview. He previously was principal at North Little Rock High School.

Mr. Randy Rutherford takes helm at Parkview; tardies disappear

October 5, 2017

Mr. Randy Rutherford is the new principal at Parkview Arts and Science Magnet High School, and he said he is very excited for the upcoming opportunities that Parkview brings.
     The  new sheriff in town said he’s not here to make changes, but to make the school better than it already is.
     For the moment, he is focused on getting people to class on time.
     According to vice principal James Castleberry, the system that Rutherford instituted is working for everyone – except the students who were chronically late for class.
    “Before, under the old system, they could accumulate three tardies in each of their eight classes. With eight classes, that allowed them 16 tardies without a single dention hall. After adminstrators took over the process, if students get three tardies they get a d-hall, fourth gets them two more days d-hall. At six tardies students have to serve detention on a Saturday from is a 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Additional tardies after that will lead to suspensions.
     Castleberry said that Rutherford “Just believes that it was disruptive to the school environment and that teachers and administrators were spending too much time dealing with tardies. He implemented a rigorous and expeditious manner of handling the tardies. Instead the tardies accumulating per class, they accumulate per instance. Since the tardies are being recorded and tracked by the administrators who also assign the detentions, that time has been given back to the teachers. The  teachers appreciate that they don’t have to keep up with the number of tardies or assigned detentions; it became an administrative issue.”
     Teachers agreed that the tardy problem was mostly cleared up after the first week of school and said they believed that Rutherford’s plan was working.
“It was a hassle keeping up with another record: tardies, grades, detentions. The tardies accumulated really fast, so I had to go back and count tardies daily. With his new policy, students get into class faster, and I don’t have to keep records,” speech communications teacher Philicia Bell said. 
                       Castleberry said the problem came down to what the school is charged with doing for its students.
     Rutherford said that he really dislikes tardies, and he is looking to teach a life lesson. He said, “If you’re late to your job, what happens? You’d get fired, so why would you be late to class?”
    Rutherford explained that he really loves his job.  He said he thinks that everyone from students to teachers are great. Rutherford left the 2,500 student North Little Rock High School for Parkview with its 1,100 student population because of the school’s reputation. “If an opening at Parkview came, that’s where I wanted to go.”
     Rutherford said he wants to make Parkview, which is an “already great school” – even better. “That’s really the goal with every school  I’ve worked with; leave the school better than when you came,” he said.
    Rutherford said that being a principal is less about him and more about the students that he is serving. He wants to see that students who are heading to college and into the workforce get there carrying the knowledge they need – because they got it from a high school that cared.

The Constitution • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in