The Constitution

Decoding the Dress Code

By Makenzie Fleming, Constitution reporter

At Parkview, the dress code is being more strictly enforced, and some students are not happy about it. The Parkview dress code has restricted flip flops and slides. The rules also restricts a popular trend known as off-the-shoulder tops.
Several students said those two rules upset them the most.
Students also said they were upset the rule about ripped jeans. The rule for off the shoulder tops is simple: shoulders must be covered. The rule for flip flops and slides is that if the shoe does not have a back, you shouldn’t wear it to school. Mr. Eric Henderson said it was for safety reasons.
Nurse Betty Baxter agreed, and said she thought that If students are walking down the hall with no front or back on their shoe, they could more easily stub their toes, or get the back of their heels stepped on, and no shoe meant no protection.
Cameron Suggs, senior, said that Parkview has come this far without any accidents so he failed to see why the rule was necessary.
Another sore spot with students was the rule about torn jeans. While these jeans are considered fashionable, no jeans with tears above the knees are allowed – for boys or girls.
Junior Dcode Burns suggested having a “comfy day,” where students can dress out in a more relaxed fashion. Sophomores Braxton Okonkwo and Amia Taylor do not see a problem with slides, off-the-shoulder tops, or rips in jeans.
Kendall Hardiman, sophomore, said she believes that some boys may take advantage if these rules were not in place.
Sophomore Diane Cooper thinks that these rules are in place to stop distractions. Another student said that the policy over-sexulaizes certain attire.
Henderson said that the slides are to ensure the student body’s safety. Rules about sagging, hats, pajamas, skirt length, bare shoulders and midriffs are to prevent distractions. Some of these rules are also to keep everyone in proper attire.
Given only one option, many students said they would change the rule about slides.
Suggs said the slide rule was “bogus.”
Daijah Harris, senior, said she would change “everything” about the dress code.
Zachary Phillips, sophomore, said he would change the rule about gym shorts under jeans or sweatpants.
Kristoffer Riley, said he would like to take away the rule about hats.
Students who are unsure about the dress code can visit the LRSD webpage at www.lrsd.org
The rules are listed in the student planners, and in the student handbooks that are inside the planners. Both were provided by Parkview for students.