The Constitution

Confrontation between juniors, seniors causes cancellation, then delay for Carnival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Just one day before the clash between upperclassmen; students cheered on the homecoming court - introduced to them in the auditorium during an assembly. Principal Randy Rutherford reported that he was

Just one day before the clash between upperclassmen; students cheered on the homecoming court - introduced to them in the auditorium during an assembly. Principal Randy Rutherford reported that he was "disappointed in the actions of students" who booed people during the auditorium, and then complicated the issue at the pep rally. Rutherford told students that they would have to earn his trust in order to be able to attend and plan future events.

Spencer Kimble

Spencer Kimble

Spencer Kimble

Nicole Duong, Reporter/Photograper for the Constitution

The homecoming pep rally was recently cut short after seniors and juniors appeared to have words and a confrontation on court. As a result, the homecoming carnival was cancelled briefly, according to Mr. James Castleberry.

The troubles may have stemmed starting with the Homecoming Court assembly on Sept. 20th. During the first homecoming assembly of the day, students “boo”ed the homecoming court as they were presented during the Homecoming assembly in the auditorium, then the following day during the pep rally, when the senior class came out and did their swag surf dance, but the music kept cutting off. The class of 2020  began to “boo” the seniors and a couple juniors started to head towards the seniors, yelling, so the seniors retaliated by walking toward the crowd of juniors and some of the seniors even tore the junior’s posters. The seniors began to walk away about a minute after they walked over there. According to Amari Robinson, senior class vice president, who was in charge of coordinating  all senior related events. Robinson acts as the liaison between the seniors and the administration to plan events that are school appropriate. The homecoming pep rally was “her” event, and she said that she tried her best to prepare herself for every possible problem, but she could not control the audience’s behavior.

The booing and the uproar at the pep rally set off a series of bad events that caused administration to be more skeptical of allowing class of 2019 to facilitate future events, because as a class, the seniors should have known better than to “entertain” the rivalry.

“In the past, Mr. Rutherford would agree to any event we coordinated, but now he’s hesitant on allowing us to participate in the activities because of the behavior he saw at the assembly and pep rally,” Robinson said.

“Homecoming week began a rivalry between classes and we didn’t get along until the homecoming dance,” Robinson said. She believes that if anything, Parkview students should be unified, but as far as it comes to classes, it’s highly segregated with the friendly rivalry. Robinson states that regardless of all the minor conflicts, Student Council is still working hard to help make senior year a memorable one.