The Constitution

Free program offers study-abroad opportunity for high school students

Apply now for a life changing experience

Vanessa Rogers-Wright, Constitution Senior Editor

Students can go to a foreign country and study abroad…for free!

The National Security Language Initiative for Youth is a program funded by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs that sponsors foreign studies for American high school students and recent high school graduates in the target languages and countries they offer.
    The language programs include Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Bahasa Indonesian, Korean, Persian (Tajiki), Russian, and Turkish. These programs take place in China, Estonia, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Korea, Latvia, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkey, and other locations globally.
    The program offers six weeks of summer studies for first time students and a roughly nine-month academic program for those who have already completed the summer course. The preliminary summer program is an intensive, immersive, language learning program. Students live with host families, attend school five days a week, and attend after school activities.
The program is legitimate: there are midterms, final exams, and everything any student would expect if they were attending school in the United States. Students who pass their selected program are rewarded a certificate of achievement.
    The NSLI-Y program is a highly selective scholarship program, with the 2017-2018 acceptance rate being 16 percent. However, the application process is very clear-cut and is all available in one neat chunk through the NSLI-Y website. There are a few things students will need for the application. The first is expensive and important: a passport. The NSLI-Y program covers all expenses for your trip except for passport fees, excess baggage fees, immunization costs, and personal spending money. The next things are a teacher recommendation and a physical.
   The application itself is not particularly difficult, but it is lengthy. The application consists of six compartments: personal information, documents, recommendations and statement requests, placement information,  host family letter and short essays, and language experience.
   This year’s application deadline is Thursday, Nov. 2 at 3 pm (Central Standard Time). Semi-finalist results will arrive around February, and finalist results should be expected about mid-March. For high school students, the opportunity is a click away on a computer. Find out more information at nsliforyouth.org.