What’s Missing at Parkview?

Mikylon Weaver, Staff Writer

What’s missing at Parkview?

Parkview prides itself as a place where anyone can find something to spend their time on and fall in love with. For many students that may be true, but is it possible to cater to everyone when over a thousand people attend the school? Parkview students weigh in on the subject.

Some think there isn’t enough appreciation of culture at the school. Hosana Rojas Carneiro, junior, expressed her concern about the lack of a representation of the hispanic heritage. She also expressed interest in a hispanic heritage program, considering hispanic heritage month had just started at the time(September 15-October 15). “It’s important that we celebrate our heritage”, Hosana said.”especially because it hasn’t been done since the 17-18 school year.” When asked about the importance of these issues to staff, Mrs. Bell, assistant principal, said, “We encourage the students to rally for the things they care about. If there is enough student interest, we will give them to have an outlet to showcase.”

Hosana and several of her classmates decided to take matters into their own hands. They began to band together in order to make a hispanic heritage program happen this year. “This goes to show that even though Parkview may not initially have something for everybody, if enough support can be rallied for something, then those who are interested will be given the opportunity to do what they want.

Another junior, Breanna Brasfield, feels that there is a lack of attention on the visual art magnet. She stated, “ Every other magnet already has its own event. Drama has fall and spring shows along with dance, but the art magnet gets nothing but a senior showcase. Other than that and having our work displayed in the art hallway, that’s pretty much all we get.”

When asked about this issue, Mrs. Bell replied “What happens in the individual magnets is the responsibility of the heads of that magnet. The number of showcases a magnet has is in their hands ultimately.” When asked if any steps could be taken to make changes such as these in any magnet, she replied, “It’s possible, but the process would be very tedious.”